Giving Tuesday is a particular passion for all of us at Ambit Consulting. It aligns with our commitment to give back to the communities we serve, and is a great opportunity to do a little good each holiday season. Every year, the participation in Giving Tuesday continues to grow, and we hope this post inspires you to commit to a cause you care about as an individual or company, or join us in our support of Brigadoon Service Dogs!
What is Giving Tuesday?
Giving Tuesday is the first Tuesday after Thanksgiving (this year it falls on December 3rd) and was started in 2012 by the 92nd Street Y and the United Nations Foundation. It began as a response to commercialization and consumerism in the post-Thanksgiving season (Black Friday and Cyber Monday) and has transformed into a powerful movement to create an international day of charitable giving at the beginning of the Christmas and holiday season.
How can companies participate?
There are many ways to participate in Giving Tuesday. The key is creating a culture of ‘giving back’ throughout the year, but also choosing a goal and a cause you care about for this particular season, and committing your company and employees to supporting your initiative.
Here are some simple ways for your company to give back:
- Match donations: promise to match donations made by either your employees or by your customers to a certain charity cause.
- Encourage your employees to volunteer: this is also a fantastic opportunity for team building!
- Use your brand awareness for good: For example, one year for Giving Tuesday, Lyft and Nissan created a campaign to benefit Habitat for Humanity. Habitat Humanitarian brothers Drew and Jonathan Scott and their celebrity friends took a spin in the cars as they talked about the meaning of home and the importance of giving back, all while celebrating the important work of Habitat for Humanity.
- Donate your products to people in need: do you sell a product you could donate to charities who work with people in need? Or maybe you have vehicles you are retiring and can donate to charity.
How is Ambit Consulting showing up for #GivingTuesday this year?
In September, our fearless leader, Matt Ford, became a Board Member for a wonderful organization called Brigadoon Service Dogs. If you know Mr. Ford, you know his commitment to both animals and veterans, so joining forces with this incredible charity couldn’t be more aligned. As part of his support of Brigadoon Service Dogs, Ambit Consulting is committed to creating awareness for this amazing organization – and using Giving Tuesday as a great way to accomplish this!
About Brigadoon Service Dogs
Located in Bellingham, Washington, Brigadoon provides trained service dogs for combat veterans, children, and adults with physical, developmental, and behavioral health disabilities to promote a more independent and enriched life.
They are also one of the few training facilities that trains dogs for children under the age of 16. They train with the child and their entire family to ensure the service dog is a good fit in the home.
In addition, Brigadoon’s veteran program, Canines and Heroes for Independence, is geared specifically towards the complex needs of veterans who may suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), and/or mobility issues. The service dog for a combat veteran might be trained to turn on lights, retrieve items, wake their human partner during a nightmare, aide the hearing impaired, or calm a wounded warrior when suffering from a flashback or panic attack.
How to Support Brigadoon Service Dogs on #GivingTuesday
As part of Ambit Consulting’s mission to raise awareness about Brigadoon Service Dogs, we recently recruited the help of a local Home Depot who came out to build a porch for their facility. They donated materials and labor and did an incredible job. The Brigadoon team (and dogs!) were so grateful for the support!
But, you don’t have to be a large company to help support this amazing cause, there are many ways to get involved as an individual or organization.
You can support Brigadoon Service Dogs by:
- Spreading the word: Connect with them on Facebook and LinkedIn or share this blog post!
- Contributing a one-time donation on their #GivingTuesday Facebook Fundraiser
- Becoming a monthly donor on their website
- Becoming a corporate sponsor! Download the Business Sponsor Packet and Reply Form or email juliaclifford@brigadoondogs.
org for more information.
This cause could not be nearer to our hearts and we greatly appreciate any support you feel able to give this year. We also hope you’ll be inspired to choose your own cause for next year’s Giving Tuesday. There’s no better feeling in the world than donating time, talent, and sometimes money, to a cause that helps humans and animals in need.